Having difficulties with Yousician? Look here for help. Check the stickies first!
By Alexicutioner
rogue_code wrote:I agree that for the curriculum and the challenges they absolutely need to stick to their self produced (and self-written) songs. This makes a lot more sense from the pedagogical angle, and a lot of this stuff is really really good.

I still can't help think it would be pretty sweet if they made some kind of licensing deal with Arobas Music to allow people who have bought songs from mysongbook to also be able to play them with Yousician (and also access to the RSE tech).
Agreed on the missions especially.

Don't get me started on the midi patches in Yousician for song uploads...ugh. It's the main reason why I don't upload more. I work it out in Guitar Pro and it sounds pretty good...then I upload it and it sounds so disappointing...*delete*
By philip0908
Actually I can't imagine anything better than yousician having more popular songs covered. The pieces the yousician-Team creates are beyond amazing - no question! But I'd love to Play with my favorite song and show the People around me what I've learnt by real songs. Of course you can do a YouTube tutorial but it's not near as convenient as yousician is.

@James: What do you guys think, isn't it worth a try to adapt some well known current songs and see if people like it? You could easily find out by the times the song has been played! Or is the only reason you don't already do it because of licence issues?
By Antmax
Popular songs would probably help get more people using Yousician. Most people on Reddit seem to prefer Rocksmith and the reasons seem to be that the songs are cool. Having said that, I can't help feel that Rocksmith is really just a game and not so much a learning tool. I came from there and ditched it soon after I discovered the Rocksmith cable worked with the desktop version of Yousician. I didn't get on with the mobile version.

I think ultimately the two apps appeal to different demographics with this one leaning more towards learning to play the guitar. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like some licensed tunes or some way to manually modify the backing tracks and instruments to make them more palatable when importing guitar pro tabs.
By Alexicutioner
It's difficult to know what the philosophy of the Yousician team is. On one hand, if it was cheap, I bet we'd already be seeing licensed songs in the app. On the other, maybe they don't want that.

I feel there is a danger of Yousician being viewed as "just a Rocksmith clone". I think what they have done differently distinguishes it as a different kind of app. As others have said, I wouldn't mind having licensed songs if they were done well. But, for me it's just not a deal breaker.
By Spinningwoman
I've just been looking at another program, Jellynote, that has a lot of proprietory songs - but it also has a forum full of complaints about the ads that pay for the rights to those songs. If Yousician ever does license more well known songs, I hope it will be on a 'buy per song' model - I would be fine with paying a fee to learn a song I actually wanted, but not with ads or higher fees to subsidise lots of songs I am never going to look at. What Yousician does amazingly well is teach - there are other avenues to learn songs that you like once you can play the instrument. And you can always enter them in from Guitarpro yourself too.
By philip0908
Alexicutioner wrote:But, for me it's just not a deal breaker.
I think that's because you can actually play. If you want to, you can just listen to a song and I'm quite sure you'll be able to play along with it after a few minutes. Most of us aren't at this stage by now. And learning to play the guitar - to me - means that you can play some well known songs after a while. "Have you seen this boy" (e.g.) sounds nice - no question! - but nobody knows it, so nobody will really acknowledge what I have achieved so far.
By ylly
philip0908 wrote: so nobody will really acknowledge what I have achieved so far.
Is that really your motivation?
If it is, just sit down and strum, try some patterns.

I find that whenever I go from G to AM, C, Em, D or something like that while strumming in a catchy pattern, people find I can really play.
But when I play something from the lead path I really worked hard on, they go like "yeah nice, but it is not real playing. It is just one note after another".

I think it says more about your audience than about your progress, capabilities :)

What I really enjoy, is that it is easier to follow other video instructions because most chords are already familiar.
By Alexicutioner
philip0908 wrote:I think that's because you can actually play. If you want to, you can just listen to a song and I'm quite sure you'll be able to play along with it after a few minutes. Most of us aren't at this stage by now.
Fair point.
By philip0908
ylly wrote:Is that really your motivation?
I don't say I don't have any other options next to yousician. Of course I can play some chords and create a nice sounding rhythm. But I love yousician and I want it to be my teacher. You're right, just playing notes - doesn't matter how hard it is, it can be level 10 in yousician - won't satisfy the audience. I don't think it's their fault thought. Strumming is what people consider playing guitar and I want to match their expectations. And yes, in a way it is my motivation. Sure I want to learn to play to be actually able to play. But isn't it - as always in life - nice to share it with others? So to me it is essential to have real songs in yousician. At least a few good quality ones so you can build up a nice repertoire of songs. To be honest, most of them are G, C, Em anyway :D
By philip0908
philip0908 wrote:
ylly wrote:Is that really your motivation?
I don't say I don't have any other options next to yousician. Of course I can play some chords and create a nice sounding rhythm. But I love yousician and I want it to be my teacher. You're right, just playing notes - doesn't matter how hard it is, it can be level 10 in yousician - won't satisfy the audience. I don't think it's their fault thought. Strumming is what people consider playing guitar and I want to match their expectations. And yes, in a way it is my motivation. Sure I want to learn to play to be actually able to play. But isn't it - as always in life - nice to share it with others? So to me it is essential to have real songs in yousician. At least a few good quality ones so you can build up a nice repertoire of songs. To be honest, most of them are G, D, Em anyway :D
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]