Talk about anything and everything related to Yousician Bass here
By RedHotFuzz
The absolute insistence on perfect note timing in Yousician really seems to be anti-musician. By that I mean that to get "Perfect" timing marks on a song I have to play those notes on **exactly** the most minute element of the beat, at which point the bass line sounds like it's being played by a robot or a computer sequencer. If you played that way in a live band you would be ousted as the band's bassist after your first performance. It just sounds stupid when it's played to achieve perfection by Yousician standards.

Bass playing is about being "in the groove," and being in the groove does not adhere to micro-beats.

Remember how early drum machines were criticized for being so robotic? And later drum machines introduced the ability to add minuscule variations to the notes to give them a more human feel? Yousician needs the same thing. Give the player a bit more leeway on either side of the beat so that the player can still play the notes with the proper timing/count but still be in the groove.
By Antmax
I don't have a problem with it. It has quite a bit of leeway on the almost perfect labels either side. I'd rather have precision in the app since it is useful to be accurate when practicing. Video games like Rocksmith give you a lot of leeway to compensate for different platforms, lag in their cable and some of the limitations of HDMI audio signal latency. When I play that, I feel frustrated because it has the opposite problem.

You can still gold star the songs in Yousician by playing the notes roughly in time. I think that is good enough, and having perfection means that you can better compete with others in the leaderboard and have a bit more of a gap in scores.

I get frustrated with the level 2 weekly challenge where the base line is usually level 2 and pretty much all 30+ of my followers share the same 5 scores with the latest one to get a particular score sitting on top of the queue.

If Yousician was too lenient we would all be getting perfect scores and sharing top positions on the leaderboard making them less effective practice and motivational tools.

One of the best things about the strict timing is when you plateau and you feel stuck. Yousician really helps because you can see tiny amounts of progress in 200 points here and there in you high scores. Sometimes that is all you need to show improvement when otherwise your progress seems flat. It helps distinguish tiny bits of progress that you can't measure if the system is too lenient.
By pktracey
RedHotFuzz wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:49 am
The absolute insistence on perfect note timing in Yousician really seems to be anti-musician. By that I mean that to get "Perfect" timing marks on a song I have to play those notes on **exactly** the most minute element of the beat, at which point the bass line sounds like it's being played by a robot or a computer sequencer. If you played that way in a live band you would be ousted as the band's bassist after your first performance. It just sounds stupid when it's played to achieve perfection by Yousician standards.

Bass playing is about being "in the groove," and being in the groove does not adhere to micro-beats.

Remember how early drum machines were criticized for being so robotic? And later drum machines introduced the ability to add minuscule variations to the notes to give them a more human feel? Yousician needs the same thing. Give the player a bit more leeway on either side of the beat so that the player can still play the notes with the proper timing/count but still be in the groove.
I know I'm responding to an ancient post on a dead forum, but I just have to say this is one of the dumbest things I have ever read on a musicians forum. Getting kicked out of band for having perfect timing? On a rhythm instrument? You must be out of your damn mind.

I remember a quote from Carol Kaye talking about the worst part of a bad session and she said it was "Russian Dragons" -- players who were "rushing" in front of or "dragging" behind the beat. If you can't play in time, you can't play. It's that simple.

IMO, groove is not about having leeway with the beat, it's about locking in with the drummer.

Hi, Since the latest update, my computer does not[…]

I'm having the same problem too. I dont remember[…]

+1 bump Does the Yousician app need connectivity […]

Windows 10 install fails

The same here :/ The Installation is only possibl[…]