Having difficulties with Yousician Bass? Found a bug in the game? Post it here.
Hi bass fans,

I've posted in several of the Yousician forums about the many obvious fingering errors in Yousician which I find frustrating. Often it's obvious when there's a blatant error, like when a piano chord has fingers in the wrong order and is obviously unplayable with the suggested fingering. But sometimes it's not so obvious, like when the the bass fingering seems to start on the wrong finger, or relys a lot on the pinky finger instead of shifting an extra fret to relying mostly on finger 1.

For example, Guantanamera in level 4 starts with finger 2 in fret 5, and stays there the whole song, resulting in a heavy reliance on the pinky (finger 4). Is that really how you'd play it? It seems much easier to play with finger 1 in fret 5 instead. Other songs will sometimes start with one fingering, then shift to other fingering for identical patterns. I've heard that Yousician fingering is generated with a script, which appears to start assuming the hand is positioned with finger 1 over the first fret and always trys to minimise the amount of movement along the fretboard. I hate that script!

Is this algorithm really what bass players do?

I get that you want to minimise unnecessary movement, but would a typical bass player really rely so heavily on the pinky when the occasional extra fret of movement will end up using the more dexterous finger 1 much more and finger 4 a lot less?

Thanks!
Graham
grahamstoney wrote:Hi bass fans,

I've posted in several of the Yousician forums about the many obvious fingering errors in Yousician which I find frustrating. Often it's obvious when there's a blatant error, like when a piano chord has fingers in the wrong order and is obviously unplayable with the suggested fingering. But sometimes it's not so obvious, like when the the bass fingering seems to start on the wrong finger, or relys a lot on the pinky finger instead of shifting an extra fret to relying mostly on finger 1.

For example, Guantanamera in level 4 starts with finger 2 in fret 5, and stays there the whole song, resulting in a heavy reliance on the pinky (finger 4). Is that really how you'd play it? It seems much easier to play with finger 1 in fret 5 instead. Other songs will sometimes start with one fingering, then shift to other fingering for identical patterns. I've heard that Yousician fingering is generated with a script, which appears to start assuming the hand is positioned with finger 1 over the first fret and always trys to minimise the amount of movement along the fretboard. I hate that script!

Is this algorithm really what bass players do?

I get that you want to minimise unnecessary movement, but would a typical bass player really rely so heavily on the pinky when the occasional extra fret of movement will end up using the more dexterous finger 1 much more and finger 4 a lot less?

Thanks!
Graham
I haven't advanced enough to comment on errors in tabulature/fingering guidance. But I have played bass for a few years.

It's a matter of preference, but if there are notes on the 4th fret, G#/Ab, following Finger Per Fret rigidly, it's fine. Especially when learning, follow the One Finger Per Fret rule and avoid wanking the neck, just try to play from 1 position only. You have the full chromatic scale in your hands with just one movement of your hand from Position X to Position X+1. When you got it under your skin, in your backbone, you can start choosing easier ways to play stuff, depending on where the song is going.

For example, if the song is in Major key, it makes sense to start with Middle finger on the root as the third is on one string above one fret lower.

Most of bass is played on index/ring combo and if you go Rock and play minor music religiously, you will be using the pinky a lot to reach the minor 3rd.
I agree. The excessive pinky shifting has made me:

1. flatten out my fingers (less curved) so I don't miss the string with my tiny finger
2. stretch my hand to feel for frets "somewhere up there" instead of just shifting like I should (and would with fingers 1-3)
3. Twist my hand an awkward amount so I can reach the low e with my pinky

All of which is now causing me hand pain. this has never occurred in my regular practice.

So I agree. These fingerlings might be a breeze for someone more experienced on the bass, but all they do is train me for carpal tunnel. So I tend to make up my own fingerings and shifts and boy is it easier and less painful.
I agree there are some frustrating fingering errors. That said, I do like that Yousician forces me to use the pinky a lot. It forces me to strengthen and improve the dexterity of that finger, when normally I would try to avoid using the pinky where possible.

I do wish they would put more energy into fixing the obvious errors though. And give us an easy way to mark/report them.
Then that begs the question, When does it become more harmful, than simply a lack of hand strength or endurance? Most of us are here looking to improve our skills to become better bass players, not developing injury that keeps us from playing.
kr0ni wrote:For example, if the song is in Major key, it makes sense to start with Middle finger on the root as the third is on one string above one fret lower.

Most of bass is played on index/ring combo and if you go Rock and play minor music religiously, you will be using the pinky a lot to reach the minor 3rd.
Thanks for this! It hadn't occurred to me before; makes a lot of sense.

Cheers,
Graham
Apparently Yousician does not care about this fundamental issue with their platform for bass as it continues to be unresolved year after year. I think this may be my last year of Premium as I feel it's become more detrimental to me than helpful. Their bass fingering just sucks and violates the basic principles they teach you in earlier lessons. :evil:
Will I ever learn doublestops?

For what it is worth, I found/find double stops ha[…]

https://i.imgur.com/arnLKBP.png?1 Yousici[…]

Those are called triplets. They last slightly shor[…]

Some general newbie questions

I think it is good to play it both ways and to mix[…]