Talk about anything and everything related to Yousician Bass here
By aCKJazz
Hi Yousician,

I'm a professional drummer and educator subscribed to the bass program, learning every day to play the bass better. I already played it somewhat before but Yousician gives me a nice boost to practice more. Thanks for that.
Although, I really want to comment on the music notation. There are several "rules" or rather notation advises that are not being respected and the readability of the notes notation really suffers because of it.
Here are a few music notation rules to improve readability in rhythmic and melodic respect:

Melodic:
Generally I noticed yousician is only using sharps. What a lack of theoretical knowledge there!
- Notes should be notated enharmonically to the tonality of the song. When in F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, or Cb use flats instead of sharps. It is really confusing to have a A natural and A# and then C in a song. Concerning scales this is not practical (you start to think of third intervals instead of seconds which they are).
- When creating an ascending chromatic line, use sharps or naturals for the notes that are not common to the tonality. E.g. in C major it would be: C, C#, D, D#, E, F. In Bb it would be Bb, B, C, C#, D, Eb, E, F
- When creating a descending chromatic line, use flats or naturals for the notes that are not common to the tonality. E.g. in C major this would be: C, B, Bb, A, Ab, G,... and in D it would be G, F#, F, E, Eb, D,...

Rhythmic:
- To improve readability of rhythms, group rhythms per beat or per two beats if you must with a imaginable bar line between 2nd and 3rd beat. When
there's a repetition of off-beats, use stems to connect them. Rests, dots after notes and slurs can be used to make more clear where the beats are. Especially when there are a lot of sixteenth note offbeats it is important to clarify the position of the beat.
- This also goes for the rests. Multiple eight note rests should be grouped per beat into a fourth note rest, or per two beats into a half note rest. The only moment to have 2 eight note rests adjacent is at the second half of one beat and first half of the next beat.

I hope something can be done to improve the notes notation.

Thank you
By nocnyptak
I would suggest writing to support team about that (this forum is mainly powered by users).

Just to clarify: we waited a long time for implementation of music notation and I personally appreciate it even in this imperfect form. Music notation is obviously managed by script. They promised to work on improvements so don't hesitate to send your suggestions.
By a.ruskomaa
Agreed!

I'm still a beginner, and trying to learn to play the bass, read sheet music and to understand chord theory simultaneously so I often switch between tab, note names and standard notation views when learning a song.

Many times this works out pretty well, but sometimes the note names are just a confusing mixture of sharps and flats, like in Danza Macumba: Image

The standard notation is a bit better, but having the note view and score view notated differently (both should be Eb or D# instead of one being D# and the other Eb) is just stupid. Also, I believe this song is mostly in the key of Ab (not this particular part, though) so it would make more sense to be notated with flats. (I might be wrong of course..) Image

p.s. Being able to switch between seeing the key signature after the clef and having every sharp or flat note marked individually would be a great way to learn keys.

p.p.s Yousician is great and has even greater potential, but if you are serious about becoming "the ultimate music teaching tool" this is one area I would suggest on improving.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]