Having difficulties with Yousician? Look here for help. Check the stickies first!
KingGeorg wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:59 pm
There are 3 reason that come to mind.

1) Backward compability when they change how songs are read in.
2) the possibility of sharing user made songs might be a problem
3) Money

The first reason I find rather unlikely, because it would mean they would have to change all songs every time they change how files are read.

The second reason might be a problem ... but its hard to imagine that this the reason to scrap such feature.

The last reason is for me what it looks like considering that adding and sharing privat somg files might reduce the number willing to pay for premium + in the long run.

Keep in mind those are only speculations of mine...
Seeing current app market, Yousician has found a good revenue model: subscription. Like Adobe's Creative Cloud, it's a cash cow for Adobe. Yousician really has a very intuitive interface for beginners to learn music, and they will be hooked. I was hooked for a year using Yousician without learning how to read music note fast. But I feel I can play piano now, and I don't care if I can read music notes at all.
Until now...

I cannot figure out why they cancel this function. Feeling users are sharing music without getting $$$ from users? They could have tried different pricing techniques to make users not only hooked, and are willing to pay more. It's call "pricing differentiation."

However, they just kill it. Kill a function that have many users inspired. There is a music teacher here who will tell students to use Yousician. If the teacher quits, so are those students.

Thanks Yousician's decision which forces me to read music notes.
alexch2441 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:45 am

Seeing current app market, Yousician has found a good revenue model: subscription. Like Adobe's Creative Cloud, it's a cash cow for Adobe. Yousician really has a very intuitive interface for beginners to learn music, and they will be hooked. I was hooked for a year using Yousician without learning how to read music note fast. But I feel I can play piano now, and I don't care if I can read music notes at all.
Until now...

I cannot figure out why they cancel this function. Feeling users are sharing music without getting $$$ from users? They could have tried different pricing techniques to make users not only hooked, and are willing to pay more. It's call "pricing differentiation."

However, they just kill it. Kill a function that have many users inspired. There is a music teacher here who will tell students to use Yousician. If the teacher quits, so are those students.

Thanks Yousician's decision which forces me to read music notes.
You are very correct. But I think the problem with Yousician is going a lot deeper. There strong point is that they have several apps in one. But on the downside they also have to developer for all. This becomes very apparent with the introduction of premium+. Now single instruments subscribers are being “left out”. There isn’t even a proper pay modle in place for those subscribers. Why is that ? My guess is that they are trying to get away from the single instrument subscription maybe for the cause of decreasing development overhead? And additionally they might have money trouble and hence they choose a strategy that might push sales and higher subscription models for a short time. Whatever it is, it seems very obvious to me that the strategy focus at this time isn’t on all instruments specifically but all instruments in general. This out of focus development will only lead to neglecting what is important for each instrument specifically, because there is only so much you can generalize. It’s only a question of time when other competitors will fill this gap. This starts for example with the selection of music you can play. Of course they earn more when people pay for all instruments. Thanks to scalability this is not a problem. But they will miss those that are not willing to pay such price. And even more so they will loose people through it. Unfortunately people are easy to rail in...
I think they lost their Mission.

Without the song upload feature yousian got useless for me.

I cancel my Subscrition

I hope somebody will create a good Song trainer in the future...

There is definitely a huge market for it.
After dropping out of Yousician subscription (screenshot of the record of non-recurring payment), I looked for different tools to learn music. I found my weakness is music score reading. When I signed up on Yousician, I loved their function of 'running notes' that highlight the keys with different colors. For months, I still cannot read music scores at all (take 10 seconds to know a key in average, I guess). That is the good and bad of Yousician, you can play music even without learning how to read music.

So I found a new app (or platform) called "SIghtreadingfactory". They also have annual subscription, but it is $35 only (you can found discount code, google it). It's really a good way to learn step by step. I focused on PIano and rhythm, and started to get better. In 1 month, I can now play two hands (level 3) music notes with common chords. The bad part is those practice notes are not very 'musical.' It still does not make me a musician, but the basics are always the most difficult to build.

SIghtreadingfactory works for both computer (windows or Mac, since it use browsers with Internet connections) and mobile (phone or tablet, free app, same just internet needed). It is smart this way, since they wont' be charged by Google or Apple. If learning how to sight read is also what you want to improve, I will recommend this platform. It does not allow you to upload music or import midi. But after sightreading is good enough, other issues are easier to solve.

Again, thanks to Yousician's change which makes me independent. Thanks for responding,. I am not sure whether I can still participate here after my subscription ends next month. I wish all of you find your own way of learning.

Hi! All the issues with antivirus software mistak[…]