Talk about anything and everything related to Yousician Guitar here
By ClericLapton
Hi all, I see a lot of questions (and to be honest I wondered the same) about rate of progress on guitar stages. So I’ve been logging and thought I’d share. Add yours in too If you can as I think it’s quite motivating especially for beginners.

I practiced 10 minutes a day at first (yes really that was it) and I’m playing steel string acoustic only. I plan to move to electric after about a year.

I now do around 30-60 mins 3-4 times a week. I try and do exercises every day regardless (spider walk, legato, chord transitions).

Started July 2019
Level 1-2: 1 week all gold
Level 3: 3 weeks all gold
Level 4: 2 months all gold
Level 5: 2 months (still have around 60 gold to pick up)
Level 6: About 30% through after 3 weeks)

Here’s some of what I was thinking at the time:

Month 1-3
I’ll never be able to switch chords without a pause
My fingers hurt because my guitar isn’t good enough
My hands must be the wrong size/shape
I’ll never, ever play an F chord
If I get a better guitar I’ll be better
If I watch lots of youtube videos and guitar reviews, I'll get better :lol:
Hammer ons aren’t possible on an acoustic

It’s funny looking back because my fingers are like steel now. I can hit and transition between all the major/minor chords (e . Big F) blindfolded. Sometimes it’s not obvious how much progress you’ve really made.

What’s really helped is mindless daily repetition of stuff like spider walk and chord transitions (e.g. 5 minutes of continuous G to C to D over and over etc) and hammer ons/pull offs especially across 2-3 frets.
By joe owens
Yeah, it's that 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration thing.

I have been banging my fingers and head senseless trying to beat the "Boolo" fret mobility exercise (Level 9) for longer than I would like to admit. Kind of stuck for a long time, but lately starting to pick it up... playing it perfectly or with only a couple of notes missing at 80+% tempo. But it has been literally MONTHS.

Surprised that only about 20 individuals worldwide are ranked as having completed this exercise.

I have to wonder what the general level of player is in this tutorial series.

JPO
By ClericLapton
It surprises me how little traffic there is on here too?

Anyway, I'm going to get level 6 nailed this weekend. Just one song left on Rhythm then onto level 7. So that's taken nearly 2 months. I'm up to 65 hours playtime and 250,000 notes & chords.

The big difference between now and earlier levels is that 10-15 minutes doesn't cut it anymore at all. So rather than daily, I'm doing more like 45mins+ 3-5 times a week. On off days, I'll still practice a few chords or riffs or finger exercises.

After I hit 7 I'm going to spend the next month picking up all the gold stars in 5&6 to consolidate my knowledge (about 50 in 5 and most of 6).

I look forward to checking out Boolo :)

Current thinking:
I seriously don't see how I'll ever barre any chord? Switching all other chords is easy now - all open majors, minors, 7s and power chords and variations
Every time I think I'm getting somewhere, I realise how much more there is to learn
Improvisation used to seem like an impossible skill but is starting to make sense now with understanding of music theory
Fast legato also seems like an achievable goal
Tuning by ear still feels out of reach
I still think I need a Gibson or a Martin to get to the next
I should have started 20 years ago
I still think a better guitar will help :D
I'm really looking forward to getting on an electric, but I don't plan to do that until later this year at the earliest - I kind of feel an electric at this point will be distracting.

Now, I like dissonance as much as (or maybe more) […]

I don’t need to sing song. Only lyrics in ka[…]

Rate of progress and other thoughts

I’m a firm believer in it’s the Indian[…]

So, I earned some certificates for completing cert[…]